Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Fearless Leader & Crisis Mode: "Stay Calm - Water Rises Slowly"

Yes, our business world is very hectic and in constant flux these days - doesn't it seem like everything (!) is always urgent, everything is an "A" priority, and we hear "we have a real problem on our hands" or "this is REALLY important/urgent" almost on a daily basis?

I always think it's so funny (yes, really!) when people come to me, all stressed out and in crisis mode - in the work place.....(no, not because someone is holding a gun to their head, but because of a project or task they/we have to deal with):

Here's my Fearless Leader's answer to crisis mode (trust me, it ALWAYS works):

Someone came to me last week with a facial expression like a deer caught in headlights, and all hectic and stressed out and told me that "we have a real problem, this is really urgent, this could have a really bad impact".

Well, I have first hand information from grandparents, parents and others regarding REAL problem and real crisis situations (usually experienced during war and post-war situations). I also pay attention to what is going on in the world, on a daily basis - and, as we all know, there are many countries/locations where people live under horrific circumstances, many of them in countries that were stable at some point before the "crisis", some very recently.

We absolutely must not forget to put things in perspective!!

So here are my counter questions to the person who came to me in "crisis mode":
  • Question 1: Do we live in a war torn country? (the answer is usually "no")
  • Question 2: Have you had anyone threaten you with a gun this week? (again, the answer is usually "no")
  • Question 3: Are you missing an arms, legs, hands, feet and/or eyesight? (and again, the answer is usually "no")

...and so on - you get the idea.....

I am usually adamant about having the person answer all three questions - after that, my obvious statement is "well, then we DON'T have a problem, do we?!" Sometimes I cannot help but react first with an initial, healthy "Are you kidding me?"

We may have a challenge that we need to address, or an item that may need our immediate attention - but we do not have a PROBLEM! Let's keep our perspective at all times, NOTHING is as important as our health and well being (as anyone who is not well and healthy can easily tell you!).

As leaders we must be role models:
  • Keep calm at all times - put things in perspective - use your common sense
  • Address the issue with the respect and seriousness it deserves - but let's not overdo it please - it's not life threatening after all
Ok, so why the title "Stay Calm, Water Rises Slowly"?

During World War II, my grandmother lived in Hamburg, a city that endured air raids several times a day. During one of the raids, the house that my grandmother lived in, was hit and collapsed on top of the basement, in which several people had found shelter (including my grandma).

In the basement there was a hand painted sign on the wall, saying "Immer mit der Ruhe, Wasser steigt langsam" (Keep calm, water rises slowly).

So, here they were, caught in the basement, no way out, the house on top of them....and then water started to come in from burst pipes..... Long story short: eventually they all got out (and ten had to run through the burning streets), but they kept as calm as possible and looked for the quickest way out of the basement. They were lucky, many thousands of people died in basements during those nights.

So - when people talk to me about a business crisis or a problem, I often quote that sign and quickly put things in perspective for myself. Much easier to go on from there.....duh!


Common sense? Absolutely!

Common practice? No way.....!


Be fearless.....

Bettina



4 comments:

Terrence Seamon said...

Bettina,
I love your message about putting problems into proper perspective . . . being fearless.

Terry

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate your story, and it has helped put things in perspective for me. I am looking to learn more about leading fearlessly, any suggestions???

Thanks

Phillip

Bettina said...

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for your nice comment - over 1 year after I posted this story (who's got time to blog these days...).

There are very few "secrets" to leading fearlessly that are easily implemented if you stay focused.

Let me know if you have any specific challenges, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Thanks,
Bettina

Anonymous said...

Bettina,

My greatist challange right now is letting go. I manage two seperate properties, have two assistants and two supervisors that report to me. I tend to alsways want to be hands-on with all assignments, and struggle with simply surrendering tasks completely without managing it.

Phillip